Writers' Mantle

I'm a writer, so this mantle fits my interests, but I actually created it for a mini-retreat at my home.


Knowing I'd be having a group of writer friends for an all day Saturday gathering, I decided to decorate my mantle in a word/writers' theme. 

Read about all decor for that day: The Write Party. And check out the other links in this post that explain my other projects for that day.

The mantle included my autobiography collection (see how to make these HERE). It's held in place by hand book ends my sister Judy gave me. I usually get one of two reactions to these book ends: cool or creepy.

I think they are fitting for my autobiography because I know my life has been in the able hands of Christ.





Matthew 6:19-21 is a permanent part of my mantle...and it always fits whatever sits below it...reminding me where my real treasures are stored.

I like this vintage look clock in the center...time is always the writers' dilemma--there never seems to be enough time to write.




I love these old spectacles in front of my tiny books...all vintage prayer, hymn or spiritual titles.

I painted children's blocks white with black letters to create "words."




Behind the blocks are three vintage books. The one without a cover is the one I've used to create my Book Page BoxesBook Page Bookmarks, and Book Page Journals.




I loved grouping these vintage books with another collection of my painted book covers and an old pocket watch.  How much time do we spend on our words... those we speak, read and write? And what about the most important words of all...how much time do we spend reading and studying the Words of the Lord?




We are so dependent on words and the WORD.


I love this old pocket Webster's Dictionary.


My friend Kim (a gifted speaker) gave me this small copy of Four Minute Essays. I loved reading the essays, some of which still have modern application.


And I specifically picked these titles for my writers' theme: Two vintage poetry books and a small volume called Line upon Line. This title is a Biblical reference which many people do not realize has a negative connotation, referring to people who boil God's wonderful words down to rules and regulations--"line upon line," "precept upon precept." God's Words are so much more than that!

Below the mantle on the hearth, I have my usual vintage luggage, but this time I topped them with my vintage portable Hungarian typewriter I found at the Budapest Flea Market.

On my little iron stool, I've placed a collection of books that also emphasize the writer theme.
 
I picked some of these up at a library sale because of their titles...never actually read them, but I like what they say about writing.



This old book was really well-read as you can see by the fraying cover.



And even though the pages are falling out, I love the vintage illustrations.

The words I printed and rolled onto my typewritter really speak my heart belief.

Amen!  My decor posts like this one are a fun way to express God's wonderful gift of creativity. But the focus of my blog is 1-Minute thoughts on God's Word. Of course, my thoughts/words are imperfect, but God's words are perfect!
"the words of the LORD are flawless, like silver refined in a furnace of clay, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6



Notice the Hungarian alphabet and key arrangement. This is similar to the modern Hungarian keyboard...whenever I use one, I alwazs get mz Y's and Z's mixed up.



And I added some wordy touches to my washstand next to the mantle.


My sister bought me these ceramic letter globes...so this is a heart full of letters.



And this vintage collection of small red books is for speakers.


So what do you think? What words come to mind when you see my Writers' Mantle? I'd love to hear any kind words in my comment section.  And please check out my home page. I'd love to have you subscribe to my devotions...it's free and easy. Click the little mug to find out about it.


4 comments:

  1. Hi, Gail, Would love to have you share this at What to do Weekends. Lovely post. I pinned how to put titles on books. Love that the books told your story. One of the first verses I learned so many years ago was "God works all things together to good to them that love Him and are called according to His purpose". Thanks for sharing. Linda

    http://www.craftsalamode.com/2013/02/what-to-do-weekends-7.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. Romans 8:28 is such a great verse. Thanks for pinning one of my posts. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I adore it....and you...Lucy~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mantel looks great!! I love all those old books. Thanks for sharing this at Romance on a dime!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...