The Write Party


A group of writer friends got together at my home to encourage each other to use our gifts for God's glory.

I created a WORD THEME for the day.

To the left: My Hungarian typewriter that I found at the Budapest Flea Market.*


*This post is full of links that give details for the projects and recipes included.

Below: My Writers' Table* greeted my friends as they entered.  
  




This paper table covering is filled with "the write words." 







The centerpiece is created with some of my Book Page Boxes.*


I created a Word-Theme mantle* in my living room.





The mantle featured two collections of my Painted Books.*


I gave each writer a letter-theme composition book, one of my Book Page Bookmarks,* and a Book Page Journal.*




I also added an Open Doors bracelet to help us remember our suffering Christian brothers and sisters.




In the morning I served my signature Biscuit Cinnamon Rolls* on an Alphabet Table Cloth* I made for the occasion. I added some children's wooden blocks that I'd painted white with red letters to match the cloth.



This was a Pinterest idea...pink erasers wrapped in clear saran give the look of candy. They look good enough to eat, don't they? Wouldn't it be fun to make a candy that looked like these traditional pink erasers?




Small signs on Popsicle sticks had quotes about writing (most of them humorous). For example:  
  • Eschew Obfuscation [which means avoid being unclear. The irony is that the words themselves are unclear because few people know their meaning.]
  • Headlines and Deadlines
  • "There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are." W. Somerset Maugham 
  • Writer's Block: when your imaginary friends stop talking to you.
  • "If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing." Benjamen Franklin.
 



And fellowship is always the nicest "decoration." 
(Read about my Booth and Menu Wall shown in this photo.)





I wanted my meals to be simple and easy to serve. My 9-year old Granddaughter helped me serve a lunch of sub sandwiches (natural lunch-meats and cheese heated on an artisan french loaf) accompanied by a field green salad with choice of dressing and choice of toppings: pecans, almonds, dried cranberries, carrots. I also put out grapes and kettle potato chips.


My utensils were in small desk organizers marked with things relating to speech and writing: "Cut & Paste" for the knives, "Forked Tongue" for the forks, and "Spoonerism" for the spoons. Don't know what a spoonerism is? Look HERE.


My 7 year old granddaughter helped me serve supper (no picture of her unfortunately). My hamburger stew* with cornbread got rave reviews, and the recipe is so easy. Two of my friends brought cookies/bars for dessert. 

Overall, it was a nice time of learning, prayer and fellowship..."Just Write" so-to-speak. So what do you think? Did this give you any "write ideas"? Or was it a bit too wordy for you? My hope is that it was like a "word aptly spoken"?
  
A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver. Proverbs 25:11


Please take time to check some of the links that give details and tutorials for the day, and please check out my home page where I post 1-Minute devotions each week day. I'd love to have you sign up for a free subscription. (How to Subscribe)  











25 comments:

  1. Squeee! I love this idea! I was just telling my daughter this morning that my hostess and hospitality skills are very rusty, and that I just haven't ever felt a real affinity for them. Looking at your pictures and reading your description makes me want to hold a writing party. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. I'd love to see your ideas if you have a writing party too.
      : )

      Delete
  2. Will you come and do one in my area? That would be WONDERFUL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes m'am, this gives me ideas. Mostly to be sure my calendar is clear so I can attend the next one. It looks like you guys had a really great time. You are a hostess with the gift of hospitality, that's for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we missed you. Thanks so much for the kind encouragement.

      Delete
  4. I don't have the WORDS to express how fun it was, despite that WORDY first speaker :) Your WORDS of encouragement, tutoring, and affirmation were WORDS that I will use and treasure. WORD on the street says it was the happening place to be, and I'd be hard pressed to find WORDS to describe the sparks that flew when iron sharpened iron. The sweetest part of all was the WORD that became flesh, dwelt among us, and encouraged us with His own precious WORD.

    And those are all the WORDs I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a writer, but I would have enjoyed the fellowship and the "write words".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! I just stumbled upon your blog via The Better Mom link up and I love this idea of a 'write' party! Very creative! I would love for you to link this up for my readers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful idea. I pinned it in my joy folder:) Love the vintage typewriter and note!!!!! I posted "crafty clothes pin" to the Southern lovely party. Following you now. Follow me too at www.sewsweetvintage.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun day you all had, Gail! Love the stenciling over your fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many wonderful creative ideas - I just love this post! I love the theme! Your typewriter is a true find! Love the runner idea - and then guests can add more quotes! I just want to know where did you get the fabric or paper that was under the plain craft paper!!? I need some of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan, for the kind compliments. I'm going to be posting a separate article on the table where I'll give more details. I bought the "paper" with the letters and numbers at a JoAnn Fabrics in CO while visiting my mom-in-law. I'm pretty sure it's paper, but it was sold on a bolt just like fabric. I considered it a rare find because I'm always looking for fabric with interesting letters/words.

      Delete
  10. Wow...looks like you put a lot of hard work into this and were blessed with great company! So fun! :)

    Mrs. Sarah Coller

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is an awesome idea! I don't really have a problem with writers block, just writing in general. I need to go to a "How to Write" party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Newest follower here! I found you through the Wednesday link up! Cute blog, I can’t wait to read more!
    -meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many creative ideas. I especially love the painted and stenciled books. I'll be replicating that one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my word! I so wish I could have been there! That looks like a blast. You are so very creative. I love it! Thank you for linking this post up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a creative idea! I would love to part of such a fun gathering of fellow writers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awwwww!This brought back happy memories. . . especially of your SINamon rolls :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing. It's giving me ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gail, What a great idea! My friend has had the privilege to go to a few writers' workshops. But this sounds like something I could manage. We need inspiration and having like minded sister's really helps!
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Roxy, it was fun to have a small group in my home. And so much cheaper than one of the big conferences. But still good for the writer within us : )

      Delete
  19. I love this in so many ways! Your decor is inspiring, your creative use of words and letters and the special event of getting together to share and to encourage - beautiful! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...