My "Signature" Rolls

I hope you enjoy this recipe post, and if you'd like a 1-minute Christian devotion sent to your email each weekday, I'd love to have you sign up for a free subscription on the right side bar. Thanks! Gail
Perhaps more than anything else in the kitchen, I'm known for my biscuit cinnamon rolls.

As a mom of toddlers, I began making these every Sunday morning, and they've always been a family favorite.

They taste different than a yeast cinnamon roll, but every bit as good in their own way. And they are so much easier!

They require basic ingredients:
4 cups of flour 
2 sticks of butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups milk


Make them healthier by using 3 cups whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour. But I recommend you keep at least 1 cup white flour so they don't get too heavy. I used to use 1/4 cup soy flour to add some extra protein and fiber, but research shows soy products are not really that healthy for us. But cinnamon has some wonderful health benefits and I use lots of cinnamon in these (10 Surprising Health Benefits of Cinnamon).


Combine all dry ingredients. Crumble 1 stick of butter into the flour mixture until there are no lumps. Texture will be like coarse cornmeal. 


Add milk and mix with fork. If it is too dry, add a touch more milk. If it is too moist add a touch more flour.


Then start rolling the dough on a well-floured surface with a well-floured rolling pin.


You want it to be pretty thin.


Melt the other stick of butter in your microwave, stove-top, or toaster oven.


Add this melted butter to approximately 3/4 cup sugar and 2-4 Tablespoons of cinnamon, depending on how "cinnamony" you like it. We like ours with lots of cinnamon.


It should have a granular pasty consistency. If it doesn't, add some more butter or sugar as needed. I actually never measure this step.


Then you put the cinnamon sugar mixture on your rolled dough.


It can sometimes be a challenge to spread it without tearing the dough.


But you want it to be spread evenly for the best results.


Then carefully begin rolling. I could have rolled these the other direction and made larger rolls, but I prefer this size.



If the dough sticks you can put a little flour under it.



Seal the edges a bit.




And begin cutting the individual rolls and placing them in a greased pan.


Into the oven at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes, depending on how well-done you want them. Check the middle roll to make sure it's not sticky before removing them.

 You can cut this recipe in half if you have a small family, or you can freeze half of them (make them in two smaller pans for this purpose).


My husband eats them with butter, and I usually eat them without the butter even though they taste better that way.



I also add frosting sometimes...just a simple powdered sugar and cream cheese blend put on while they're hot.

I love creative cooking, sewing, crafting and decorating, but my real love is writing about God's Love Notes: the Bible. Please check out these two devotions related to cinnamon rolls and baking...they only take 1-Minute to read:
Cartoons and Cinnamon Rolls
An Essential Ingredient 

And if you like them, sign up for a free subscription below and have a 1-Minute devotion delivered to your email box each weekday.


 
Have my 1-Minute Devotions sent to your email box each weekday. It's free

Enter your email address and be sure to validate the Feedburner email sent to your email box

Thanks and God bless you,
Gail

I'm linked to the Chicken Chick link up HERE.

15 comments:

  1. Great rolls!!! You make them look so easy Gail!!! I admit, I'm just too lazy to make cinnamon rolls, but boy nothing beats them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cinnamon rolls without the hassle of yeast? This is something I can get excited about! Putting them on the 'to make' list this week. My 'last one at home' will be thrilled with his before school breakfast. (found you via What Joy is Mine)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got to try this recipe. I am so NOT talented in the kitchen, but these rolls look easy enough for me to venture : ) thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very yummy! I can see why this is a family favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yum, I can't wait to try these! We have a rainy weekend predicted here and what better way to spend a rainy Saturday or Sunday morning that with a pan full of cinnamon rolls! The house will smell wonderful, also. I think I have all of the ingredients on hand as well. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound awesome...a must try, for sure.
    Over from The Fence...:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious and I copied it so I can find it when I get home :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Again, thanks for linking up with me at Haven of Rest. I'm sorry, I keep hitting 'post' too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow...these look Heavenly. The filling especially leave my mouth watering! New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy!!! They look way more easy than messin' around with yeast! I can't wait to try them out. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gail these look delish!!! I'm currently on a break from sugar.... these will be a must try when I'm back at it! Thanks so much for linking up at our heart&home gathering!
    blessings,
    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so good!! I would really love to try the recipe some time. Thanks for sharing at Take it on Tuesday!! Pinning this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look like a terrific treat!! Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch. I hope you will link up again this week. The party will be live tomorrow night. www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love cinnamon and these look fab - have pinned them, Alice x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gail, these look AMAZING! Thank you so much for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday!" I am featuring them this week! :-) Congratulations! :-) :-) Stop by and grab an "I've been featured" button from my sidebar for your blog. The post should go live around 11pm Eastern on Monday. I'd love to have you join us again this week. Many blessings, Lisa P.S. I just LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...