Closet Playhouse

When we moved into a new house after returning from 5 years of Christian work in Budapest, we had a lovely "bonus room" as they call them in NC--a single upstairs room with two large walk-in closets.

This is how one of the closets looks...slip covers for my IKEA couches (read more about those HERE) and all sort of boxes, etc.

But we were determined not to accumulate enough to fill the other closet, and I decided we should make it into a playhouse for our grandchildren.
 The closet was already carpeted, but we added a piece of wood trim accented by a polka dot ribbon and painted the lower half pink to give the feel of a child-size room.
Here's a close-up. I put the ribbon on by dipping it in liquid starch. Read more about this technique HERE.


We bought an inexpensive coffee table from IKEA that fit perfectly on the narrow wall of the closet.

I bought a piece of foam pad and cut it to the size of the top and made a purple polka dot cover for it.
I also covered two pillows with the fabric...all of these covers are removable and washable.
I had a narrow wooden bookshelf that I painted pink and added along with a small pink area rug.
Adding a few accessories, the shelf became a little kitchen area and the coffee table became a bed/couch strong enough for the littler grandchildren to stand up on without danger. The little shelf below the coffee table also served as storage for baby-doll items.
On the other side of the closet, I hung a mirror that has the look of a picture window (half-price sale at Hobby Lobby, so it cost about $15).
Next, an inexpensive table and chairs from IKEA, a little butterfly picture on the right wall, and the little wooden doll dresser my father made for me in the 1950's when I was a child.
 Here's another view.
And another view.
Last, I hung a little welcome sign outside the door of their new "home."  We surprised them with it as a Christmas present and they love it. 

So what do you think? I'd love to hear your comments. 


While you're here, please check out my home page that features 1-Minute devotions each weekday. I'd love to have you sign up for a free subscription.


Have a blessed day! Gail



16 comments:

  1. So cute. What a great idea for the closet. I really wish we had an Ikea here. Stopping by from Inspire Me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it!! I want to do this when I have kids. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! I love stuff like this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute little space. That's a great idea - to make it into a playroom instead of filling it with stuff. Love how it turned out. Thanks for linking up at Romance on a dime's Tuesday party! Pinning this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute space! I'm sure the grandkids will love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How ADORABLE!! Thanks for sharing your step by step for this. Coming over from Raising HOmemakers link-up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A playhouse in the closet is always the best! Thank you for sharing your charming project at Potpourri Friday at 2805!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is absolutely adorable! I have a closet next to the stairs that I've been after the husband to help with renovating into a playroom for our son and daughter. I can't wait to get started and I hope my room turns out just as nice! Visiting you from the hop. Stop by my page and say hi :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job! It's absolutely adorable! I'd never have known it was a walk-in closet :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a darling playhouse. They are blessed indeed to have such loving, thoughtful grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just followed you link from WholeHearted Home Wednesdays over at Haven of Rest but although I read it last week, I couldn't comment. I was sitting in doctor's office using my phone.

    What a terrific idea to make a playhouse in a closet!! What a beautiful job. You must be the most funnest grandparents around!!

    When my children were little, we made the area under our stairs into a clubhouse but we weren't near as creative as you. Doesn't that come with the grandparent's turf?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your club house under the stairs sounds fun, Judith. So glad to be a part of your fine blog hop. Thanks!

      Delete
  12. Hello Gail,I like your blog,thank you for everething

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable!! Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays at The Mandatory Mooch. Hope you will link up again this week. The party will be live tonight. www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have something similar! live in an old house, and we never use the front door due to the ivy on our house. So my Mom converted the old entry way into a play room. She put our play kitchen, a table with chairs and a shelf with buckets that have everything from toys to pretend food to dishes to dolls. In the corner we have rubbermaid totes with potato heads, blocks, dress up clothes (and some is in a round laundry basket) and fisher price little people. The living room is the only room adjacent and that has a bunch of toys from the 7 year old's to the baby's. We home-school so we have toys for pretending to educational to toys just for fun. :~) I wish I had a play space like this when I was little. I wouldn't have had as messy as a room growing up. (Did you know if can be painful to get out of bed and step on a train set?) The little girls do have toys in their room but I'm thankful for the play area. :~) Enjoy the play room! :~)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...