Map Tray



This craft is super easy and inexpensive. 


You’ll need:
  • Unfinished wood tray--these are inexpensive in craft stores, and even cheaper if you watch for sales.
  • Mod Podge—this only requires a small amount.
  • Souvenir map often available from tourist info centers.
I used a map of Budapest because we lived in Budapest for 5 years and we lived near the heart of the city, so our address is actually on this map.


1.  Cut your map to fit exactly in the tray bottom. 
2.  Then paint the bottom of the tray with Mod Podge.
3.  Lay the map carefully on top, making sure it’s smooth.



4.  When it dries, paint 2-3 coats of Mod Podge on the top of the map making sure your strokes are even-looking.
5. Spray with a sealer to keep the Mod Podge from becoming tacky as it ages. 



Ideas for Cities to Use:
♥ Where you honeymooned
♥ A special vacation
♥ Where you were born
♥ Where you met you husband
♥ Your college town
♥ Your present location

You could make a whole collection of trays to use for parties.



Thanks for visiting my blog...I'd love to have you check out my home page which features 1-Minute devotions each weekday. And why not sign up for a free subscription? 
Bless you, Gail 






22 comments:

  1. I was thinking of making something like this as a Christmas present. Thanks for posting the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely ! I can make my destroyed trays !

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. I just snagged a tray from a free pile at a yard sale. I plan on doing something like that.Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable! I am trying to do a map frame in the next few weeks!

    I am a new follower and I would love for you to follow back. Also, feel free to link this to my Flaunt It Friday link party!!! :) http://www.blissfulbucketlist.com/2012/10/flaunt-it-friday-15.html

    Hope to share more ideas with you soon!!!

    Sarah@
    www.blissfulbucketlist.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look great - nice job!! I appreciate you linking up at Romance on a dime each week!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely a craft anyone could make! Thanks for sharing at Mom's Library!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gail,
    This is such a cute tray. I need to do one of these. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week. This weeks Link Party is opened at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/10/almond-sugar-body-scrub-and-wednesdays.html
    from Wednesday until Sunday.
    Hope to see you there.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute idea! I have a bunch of maps from out trip to Italy that I've been trying to figure out what to do with... I think I just might try this! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

    xoxo
    Michelle @ Ya Gotta Have a Hobby

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great craft! Useful and fun to do also. Thanks for showing us how. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely love this idea! I wish I had more use for wooden trays so I'd have a reason to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a super fun tray! way to be creative.
    with love,
    -Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet comments on all of the links I posted on your link party.
      Bless you,
      Gail

      Delete
  13. What a good idea! We have a huge collection of souvenir maps & I feel like such a hoarder! I'm going to have to head to the craft store (or thrift store??) to see what they have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll enjoy this craft, Monica. I use my little tray on an end table in my living room as kind of a coaster and "catch all." Every time I see it, it reminds me of Budapest.
      : )

      Delete
  14. What a great craft, I love your idea! And I love how you used a map of Budapest! :) I'm from Prague (Czech Republic) and love Budapest too :) I'm sure I have a tray laying around somewhere that I could re-do too! Thanks for sharing!! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun idea! It looks marvelous - it would be fun for children to use and to learn from! I am delighted that you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...