American Flag Pillows

Did you know that there's a verse in the Bible that says God places each of us in the country of His choosing.*

Maybe that's one reason I love Americana decor, but this flag pillow could be made with any country flag.

They're easy-to-make and inexpensive.

I think it would be fun to have a collection of pillows from various countries to give a family room an international theme.


Here's how to make them:

1. Purchase cloth flags of any size you'd like the pillow. If you get these after July 4th when they go on sale, you can save even more.

This is a street car bench from a street car that once operated  in Golden, Colorado.
2. Soak the crisp white flags in tea so they'll look vintage. If you fold the cloth, it will streak like tie-dye. Or you can tea stain them evenly like I did. It just depends on what you prefer.The stronger your tea bath and the longer you soak them, the darker they'll be.


3. Don't rinse them, just let them dry.

4. Cut pieces of muslin the size of the flags.

5. If you want a quilted look, use your machine to stitch the lines in the flag, sewing through 1-4 thicknesses of muslin depending on how full you want the quilting to look/feel. I used one piece for these pillows.

6. Then with right sides together, sew the quilted flag to another piece of muslin as you would any pillow, stitching around the perimeter, turning it inside out, stuffing it with loose fiber fill and hand stitching up the opening.  


I added some buttons and little patches to this one. 
Pretty simple, isn't it?


I'd like to leave you with a look at one more Americana accessory I display all year in my home.

It's a doll that my good friend Cindy Carlson* made me many years ago. She won a prize for the quality and design and it reminds me of our sweet friendship that started over 30 years ago when we both lived in Mainz, Germany.

FLAG CODE: I had a woman kindly explain that my flag pillows violate the American Flag Code. I took her remarks seriously and researched them thoroughly. The American Flag code does prohibit flags from use in decor, clothing, stamps, certain artwork, quilts, etc. But the Flag Code is not law. It is not even observed by the U.S. Post Office. I assure my readers that I have a high regard for our flag. My husband served in the Army for 22 years and I'm a patriotic American. I apologize if you are offended by these flag pillows, and I encourage you to be faithful to your conscience in this regard.

* Acts 17:26-28
*You can read a story Cindy wrote HERE.
My flags were featured on Bless My Nest!

I'm glad you stopped by to see my American Flag Pillows, and I invite you to look over the rest of my blog. My home page is devoted to Christian devotions that you can read in 1 minute...really. And if you subscribe, these devotions will be sent directly to your email box to give you a little encouragement each morning. Best of all, it's free to subscribe, so why not do it? See the subscribe box at the top of my right sidebar.
Thanks, Gail

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for instructions for making the flag pillow, Gail. You're so creative. And the doll is so cute. Luv that blond hair with navy(?) bows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be making some pillows. I'm proud of my country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Love the pillow:)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I hope you'll link these up to my Patriotic Project Parade!

    http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2012/06/patriotic-project-parade-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm stopping over from Romance on a Dime. I LOVE this idea! I have an Americana themed guest room, and this is perfect. When I first looked at the post, I was wondering how you got it to look like that. I never thought to use tea on a new flag. That just opens up so many possibilities! When you say you stained it evenly, how did you do that - with a foam brush? I would also love to invite you to link this post to my Simply Sensational Tuesday party if you would like to. :) http://www.organizinghomelife.com/archives/3410

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stained them evenly by laying them flat in a sink of tea instead of folding or crumpling them up in the tea. So it's pretty easy. And yes, there are many things you can tea stain to add a vintage look : )

      Delete
    2. Oh, great! That sounds easy which is my kind of thing. :) Thanks for linking. :) Have a wonderful day.

      Delete
  6. Your 4th of July pillows are lovely. I need to make something like this for next year! Thanks for the inspiration. I'll be pinning this.

    I'm so glad you linked up at Romance on a dime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting idea...I'll put that on my "to-craft" list. :)

    -Iris♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's darling~ thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gail...love this! Makes me think about my Aunt Lola, who loved Americana decor and her house was a wonderful display of it. Thank you for the pattern and for sharing it at WJIM. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like those. It will go on my to make list. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, tea staining those cheap flags to give it a vintage feel and then top stitching over it is genius! As in I'm clunking my head muttering why didn't I think of that genius variety!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just wanted u to know I featured your pillows on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just wanted u to know I featured your pillows on my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a flag lover from way back. I put a variety of flags around the house and garden from Memorial Day through Labor Day, but I always have at least 1 flag item in the house. I think I am going to try your flag pillow. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...