Custom Tray

Welcome....We serve a creative God...and I'm so glad He made us in His image.

This post is part of my project to take my kitchen from vanilla to vibrant. My next step will be my kitchen island and then the final reveal. So today let me show you my...
Custom Tray



I started with a bargain find from Marshall's. 
It was scratched so I got it for $2.99.


My husband sanded it a bit and painted it turquoise.

 
The tray will be used to hold sweeteners and tea bags for my husband who loves lots of cream in his morning tea. (Fortunately, his cholesterol is good).
So I personalized it with sticker letters.



The next step requires liquid starch. I learned this trick when my husband was in the Army and we lived in white-walled government quarters. Because we weren't supposed to paint the walls of our quarters, Army wives often starched colorful sheets to bathroom walls like wall paper. The beauty of starch is that it comes off easily when thoroughly soaked with water. I also use this method to line the inside of my Old Trunks and to cover composition books for inexpensive journals.



First, I measured a piece of cloth to fit the inside of the tray.


Then I poured starch in a bowl and put the measured cloth in it until thoroughly soaked.


Then I removed the excess starch from the cloth.



Finally I smoothed the cloth onto the inside of the tray and let it dry.

The finished tray.




Now in use!

After taking these photos I added something extra...

What do you think? Should I keep this little chair in the tray or not?



Thanks for letting me share my custom tray. Since you're already here, please stay awhile and check out the rest of my blog, especially my home page which features one-minute devotions each weekday. I'd love to have you subscribe to these devotions (use the feedburner tool on the sidebar). Thanks,
 

1000 Gifts: I'm thankful for little bits of beauty and creativity God gives us to enjoy in this world--foreshadows of our life in heaven. 

10 comments:

  1. I say keep the little chair! It's cute and brings height to offset the other items. Thanks for the great idea about the starch. Going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gina. The little chair is kind of growing on me...think I will keep it. I think you'll like the starch trick! You can probably think of lots of uses for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute!! I like the little chair in it!! I agree with Gina - the height it brings look great.

    Thanks for linking up at Romance on a Dime!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE the colors you used. This tray is gorgeous!! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really cute. I'm so glad God is creative and made us creative beings. :)
    Linking up from Tatertots and Jello. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the colors and the use of liquid starch! Saw you at TT&J. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is adorbale. Thanks for the starch tip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great project. Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays on The Mandatory Mooch. I hope you link up again this week. The party will be live tomorrow night. www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    And don't forget to "like" my Facebook page if you haven't already. www.facebook.com/TheMandatoryMooch

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute. I love the chair also. Thank you so much for sharing with Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party last week.
    Have a great week.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...