Create a Kitchen Booth with IKEA Ottomans

I've always loved booths, and I've always hoped to have a little nook in my home where I could put one.

But, we've never had that little nook. So I started thinking of ways to create it. 

(If you'd like to pop over to my devotional page and read a 1-Minute devotion about this photo, click here: An Essential Ingredient. This window will remain open so you can continue reading about my booth afterward.)
  

First my husband put bead board on the wall in our kitchen dining area. I love bead board, and decided this steel blue would look great.  The bead board is higher than a "chair rail" to serve as a back drop for the booth.


Next, we explored all sorts of possibilities for the booth seating:
1.Buying a booth ready-made--expensive and very limited styles
2. Buying ready-made kitchen cabinets and using them on the floor as a base (which several experts told us would not support the weight over time)
3. Building seats


Then, one day in IKEA I decided using IKEA ottomans would work. So we bought four and then realized they were slightly too short for sitting at a table. We could have taken them back, but they were so perfect in other ways...comfortable and useful for storage...so my husband devised this way of giving them height. He built these stands for them.



He painted them blue so they wouldn't look so obvious...



A close-up of how they are put together.



Then we placed them on the floor in the configuration we wanted.



My husband made one stand to support 2 ottomans and two separate stands so we could reconfigure the booth a number of different ways.

 
Here's how the process went



Notice the great storage in each ottoman...I keep my decor items in them.


I've had this booth for two years and never had to wash the covers although they are completely removable and washable and you can also buy new covers for them. 


I choose this deep denim blue and my daughter thought I'd made a mistake, but they have been grandchild tested by her 4 children who eat and do crafts and play on this booth often. This is how the covers look now (after 2 years of use). When they get food spots on them, I simply wash them off with a damp rag.


I've configured the booth several different ways in the last 2 years, but I like this way best.


Buying 4 ottomans is the expensive part of this booth, but they really have proven worth the money...they are comfortable, cleanable, durable and provide lots of storage. Also, I can move them to another location and use them as ottomans. They actually match several of the covers for my IKEA couches (see HERE). By the way, I don't get any reimbursement from IKEA for this glowing review--wish I did : )



I found these two patio furniture pads at IKEA also, but they are available everywhere. I think I paid about $25 each. They aren't a perfect size (a couple of inches too long on both sides), but close enough.


  
Then two IKEA tables finish the booth. It's hard to find pedestal tables that work for a booth...you can't have regular four legged tables or you won't be able to get in and out easily. These are durable with plastic tops which makes them great for the grandkids, but I can see us investing in some nicer wooden ones when the grandchildren get older.


Lastly, we bought a Value City bench...I think it was about $125, and it's been perfect. This is the second seat cover it's had and it won't be it's last with my messy grandchildren : ) But it's easy to recover. The dark booth covers are much more practical for hiding stains, but I like the contrast in color and the brightness it adds to the booth.


This is one of the most popular areas in our home.


I have a vintage school desk next to the booth, where I store big board books, paper dolls, and puzzles for my grandkids.

We've had lots of fun on the booth.




Thanks for stopping by to check out my booth. While you're here, I'd love to have you check out my home page that features 1-minute devotions each weekday. You can sign up for a free subscription and have them delivered to your email box.





15 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love the bench seat as well. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. FANTASTIC! thanks so much for linking up at mercyinkblog.com!!! :) LOVE ikea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!! I so wish I could do something like this in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great is that! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Fireflies and Jellybeans. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/08/make-it-pretty-monday-week-9.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh, how fabulous! i love how you are able to keep them in place, and the way you used multiples of everything to create a different look. i wish i thought like that. this rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks lovely!! Nice job. I'm sure you are going to enjoy it. Thanks for linking up at Romance on a dime!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is very, very clever, sweetpea! Visiting from Linky Party at FNF. You're one before me and now I need to visit one AFTER me. Nice to meet you.
    xoxo,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great idea. I am collecting ideas for when we finally buy our own house.
    Also, I have been getting your morning emails for a couple of months now and it's great to wake up to such encouragement.
    I hope you will come over to five4fivemeals.com and join the Friday 5 Blog Roll.
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great idea! I have also been wanting a booth in our kitchen and have been considering all the same options you mentioned. I had never thought of using ottomans! Do they slide around any or fall of the bases you made? Are they just sitting on the bases or attached in any way? Thanks for the idea and I look forward to hearing more about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had no problem with them sliding around or off the bases even though they aren't connected to the bases in any way. It would be easy to put brackets on the bases if it were a problem, but we haven't needed to. The ottomans a bit heavy which helps, plus mine are full of things making them heavier. Two are always against a wall, but the ones without the wall support don't move either.

      Delete
  10. Great idea, thanks for sharing on the NOBH

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific idea. I love it!! Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays at The Mandatory Mooch. Hope you will link up again this week. The party just went live at http://www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com/2012/08/tasty-thursday-4.html
    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this!!! New follower from Http://craftyhousemom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...