Book Safe

The greatest treasure in my bookcase is the Bible, but it's fun to do an object lesson using a homemade book safe like this one I made for my granddaughter. Use it to teach about the treasure of God's Word or just for fun!

Someone once said that every mansion should have a hidden room behind a bookcase.

I agree. 

And I think every bookcase should have a "book safe"--a book with a hidden compartment.

I wanted to make something fun for my granddaughters, and I found these books (below) with interesting covers at a library sale for 50 cents each! 

I thought they would make neat "book safes" for a little girls' hidden treasures.


You can use any book for this project, although a hardbound book is best.


I started by marking the area I wanted cut out. I used a rubber band to keep the pages in place but I still had to hold the pages tightly when doing this. 


Then, using a sharp exacto knife, I cut down about 10 pages at a time and removed the square section of text. 


This was a slow process and I had to pull away little shreds of pages as I did this. Even with an exacto, it's not exact : )


Before I reached the back of the book, I put a piece of cardboard between pages to stop my cuts from going all the way through. This was because I wanted to leave uncut pages at the back as well as the front.



 I thought having pages at the front and back made it more secretive (i.e. you can open the book without immediately knowing it's a book safe.)
Some people suggest using mod podge on the entire outside pages to make them stiff and the inner cut-out more stable.



I chose to simply mod podge the inside sides of the cut-out so the outside of the book looks normal when closed. 


Then I set heavy objects on the book so it would dry without puckering. That jar that looks like lard is actually a candle : )


Because the back of this book wasn't very attractive, I covered it with a piece of scarpbook paper.


Finished!


What lovely little treasures will my granddaughter put in her?  Later she suggested I should have made it big enough for her ipod. I'm not sure I agree...seems a little too "practical"-- I think it should conceal some special treasures!


Here's my little treasure holding it. Love this little munchkin who made me a grammy 11 years ago.

 Easy-peasy, don't you think? And fun. I think I might need one myself.

But my real treasures are found in a book without a hidden compartment--it's the Bible and I love finding its treasures, "hiding" them in my heart and sharing them with my subscribers. I don't send out these craft posts, but I send out a 1-minute devotion each weekday (see an example HERE). Would you like to sign up for it? You can do it below. Thanks!  Gail


Have my 1-Minute Devotions sent to your email box each weekday. It's free. to start your subscription, you must validate the Feedburner email sent to your inbox after subscribing.
Enter your email address

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop!

    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...