IKEA Bargain = $64 Living Room Make-Over

Have you ever come across such a great bargain that you feel like God led you to it? Ever since I've been a believer, I've felt like those special finds were little gifts from the Lord.

And this post is about one of those bargains. And it's also about another thing that God passed along to us...creativity. Why do we love to create, decorate, rearrange, reorganize, paint, embellish, etc.? Because we are creative beings like our Father. 

So let me share my "God-bargain" and how it helped me make over my living room for less than $100.


Before:


I like IKEA's line of couches with replaceable slip covers (I'm not getting any reimbursement for this post...I'm just an IKEA fan). I bought my first one when we lived in Budapest, Hungary in 2006. Then, when we returned to the States and bought a home with a huge, open living area, I bought two.


I like these blue pin-striped covers, but I'd had them in the room for over a year and wanted to change them. The great thing is that they are machine washable.


I originally bought the couches with the dark blue denim slip covers (like the ottoman). But I now own 4 sets of slip covers, and the denim are the only ones I bought for full price. All of the others I got at the discontinued price of $20 a slip cover!



So this is how it looks when you remove the slipcovers.


IKEA has perfected the art of the slip cover, in my opinion.


They come folded in a relatively small box (I can never get the used ones folded that small again).



IKEA gives easy pictorial instructions.


My husband came in from a run just as I was changing the covers and he gave me a hand.


I started going to IKEA over 30 years ago when my husband was in the Army and we were stationed in Germany. In fact, I bought shelves from IKEA at that time that my married son used until last year.
Before
 
After


If you'd like a close-up description of my mantle decor in this photo see: Vintage Child-Themed Mantle.
 


I still have a few blue highlights in the room, but I thought the navy ottoman was too stark a contrast with the brown couches, so I tried several things to make it less conspicuous and finally decided to put a crocheted blanket on top. It not only softens the contrast, I think it adds some pattern and texture to the room. And it's something I already had (my aunt made it), so it didn't add anything to my cost of the living room make-over.


If you like my jean pocket coasters, you can find out more about them HERE.



I also added this thin crocheted throw to the couch--something I had in my linen closet. So the whole change to the room cost me $40 for the couch covers.  Later I added two pillows from Walmart ($12 each) that look like leather (but aren't) bringing the total to $64.



And I placed a piece of paisley fabric to the top of a trunk sitting next to one couch.


I'm so glad you visited my blog, so sit a spell and kick your shoes off and explore my other pages. And I'd love to have you check out the one-minute devotions on my home page. If you'd like to subscribe to those devotions, you can do that below:

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

21 comments:

  1. You make me want to buy Ikea couches next time I'm in the market for ones!

    Blessings,
    Lisa

    www.moretobe.com & www.pnpcoaching.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IKEA too!! Your room is beautiful before and after. I love how you have the freedom to easlily makeover a room! I may have to consider buying couches from IKEA the next time we are in the market for couches! This is such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tirzah for the kind comments! I do enjoy the freedom the slip-cover couches give me.

      Delete
  3. Wow...that made an amazing difference. Love the verse over the fireplace by the way. Hope you'll link up to Titus 2 Tuesday tomorrow on Cornerstone Confessions.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. I'll try to link up. I'm traveling right now in Croatia, but hope to have internet at each step of the trip.

      Delete
  4. Wow it looks great! Thanks for sharing this. I'm a new follower from a blog hop and would love if you followed me at http://iheartpears.blogspot.com. Feel free to also add your project to my blog hop as well!!! Thanks so much, can't wait to come back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool. I wish we had Ikea here in New Zealand. I love how changing your couch covers can transform a room. I did this too a little while ago: http://www.nzecochick.com/2011/04/new-lounge-for-100.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Madeleine, I read your post and congratulate you on doing something simple and inexpensive to make over your room too. I tried to leave a comment but had some trouble, not sure it went through. I'm overseas right now, so maybe the connection was bad. God bless you.

      Delete
  6. What a great transformation! I bet you are loving your updated space! I found you on the blog hop and am now following you on GFC. I'd love for you to come visit my blog sometime. Have a great day!

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a transformation with little effort and money! I would love to have you come by and link up this project at the Creative Corner Hop. The linky party begins every Monday and stay open all week.

    Sandy
    Cherished Handmade Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great!! I'm impressed with how much you changed with just a little bit of effort and almost no money. Nice.

    Thanks for linking up at Romance on a dime!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mother made an afghan very much like the one you put on the ottoman. Must be about the same vintage as your aunt. It is so interesting to note when there are those similarities.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been considering buying an IKEA sofa, but I've wondered about the quality. You've had yours for a while, has it held up well? They are so pretty, and a far cry in price when compared to the ones that Pottery Barn has.
    Thanks, Christa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We owned one in Budapest for about 3 years and it was in great shape when we sold it to come back. We've had these 3 years and they also have held up well. They aren't the quality of Ethan Allen, but I think they are worth the money, and IKEA has a great return/replacement policy if something is inferior or damaged.

      Delete
  11. Wow, I love these couches. I will keep this in mind when we're ready to replace our 2nd and 3rd hand furniture : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have an EKTORP sectional. It's served us well for almost 8 years. The trouble I have is with four kids the covers get dirty quick. Part of the problem is I always get white covers because they are only 100.00 verses 299.00 for the colored covers. Where in the world did you get them for 20? A miracle indeed :)
    I know they are machine washable and I wash them probably twice a month and then keep at least the seat part covered with blankets, which I wisk off when company comes and store in my IKEA footrest. The problem is, though the covers are easy enough to wash- the cover underneath the cushions that covers the back and arms, as you know is one big piece (larger than yours I"m sure as it's a sectional, not a three-seater like yours). THIS is the piece too large to fit in the washer and then unable to go in dryer because of the kind of material as the under part, its not dryer friendly. It's posing a real problem... I wondered if you had an easier way to wash this part?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie and fellow Ektorp owner : )
      I am impressed that you can maintain a white cover with 4 kids. My daughter also has an Ektorp and 4 little ones, and she tried dying a white one once, but I don't think she was especially pleased with it. But it was more a matter of getting the dye even, if I remember correctly.
      We found the $20 covers in the D.C. IKEA and in the Charlotte IKEA. They were covers they were discontinuing and you couldn't get matching ottoman covers and only had certain sizes. They don't advertise the discontinued items, I don't think, but if you keep a look out, you can usually find them.
      Since mine isn't a sectional, I don't think I have the same problem. All of my covers fit in my normal size washer. But I don't actually machine dry them. I usually just hang them dry, press them if they need it and put them on. My daughter taught me to put them on while they are slightly damp because she thinks it's easier to stretch them that way.
      Wish I could be more help.

      Delete
  13. Love the exchangeable slip covers, love the jean pockets - how original.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...