Seaside Mantel

This month I decided to move from spring to summer on my mantel, so I collected a few "sea-worthy" items from my beach-themed bedroom and bathroom and displayed some of them on my living room mantel. I love the wonderful variety in God's creation...beach and mountain....dessert and rain forest...and most of us love to bring some of nature into our decor. I think that's partly because God leaves hints of his nature in creation.


♥♥♥ "For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature."  Romans 1:20♥♥♥


Many of the items I've displayed are from Croatia. My husband and I did Christian work in Budapest, Hungary for 5 years and we return each year for 3 months, and we often vacation in Croatia when we are there. It's a beautiful country. In fact, I have a travel blog HE MADE CROATIA which I post to each time we visit.
 
A picture of me overlooking the walled seaside city of Dubrovnik, Croatia
The framed boat on the mantel is a photo I took along the Dalmatian Coast of Croatia...I love the turquoise shell frame. And the limestone cross is from Dubrovnik where the streets are made of limestone that gets shiny from the many tourists feet.

I suppose the reflection of our ceiling fan in the glass of this frame is fitting for the theme : )




 ♥





Next to the jar of coral I got from the beach in Hawaii is a replica of a scrimshaw* walrus tusk that my father gave me. My father thought it was authentic having received it from my uncle's estate, but I found out later that is is a replica. An authentic scrimshaw from this time period would be extremely valuable.
 

But I think it's a wonderful copy that looks quite authentic.



This is a dry point by a well-known Croatian artist Branko Modic. We bought it in Split, Croatia. A dry point is made by rubbing inks on hand-engraved copper plates and hand pressing them on thick homemade paper.
  




Below my mantel, I placed two Longenberger baskets...for a number of years, my sister gave me one of these wonderful baskets each Christmas and I love decorating with them. I thought this picnic basket was perfect for a beach theme,and I love the little "purse" basket on top...perhaps for collecting sea shells. And I love this particular scarf for the display because it makes me think of water on the beach--the tassels almost have a sea foam effect. I love to decorate with scarves from my collection. I even have a post about it HERE.

  

The little suitcase is one that I rescued from a trash pile in Budapest. It was badly used, so I had to repaint it and I like how it turned out this denim blue.



I'm so glad you stopped by and I'd love to hear your comments. And I'd also love to have you check out my home page that features 1-minute devotions sent to subscribers each weekday. 


*Scrimshaw is the name given to scrollwork, engravings, and carvings done in bone or ivory. Typically it refers to the handiwork created by whalers made from the byproducts of harvesting marine mammals. It is most commonly made out of the bones and teeth of sperm whales, the baleen of other whales, and the tusks of walruses. It takes the form of elaborate engravings in the form of pictures and lettering on the surface of the bone or tooth, with the engraving highlighted using a pigment, or, less often, small sculptures made from the same material. However the latter really fall into the categories of ivory carving, for all carved teeth and tusks, or bone carving. The making of scrimshaw began on whaling ships between 1745 to 1759 on the Pacific Ocean, and survived until the ban on commercial whaling. From Wiki

8 comments:

  1. Your photos are so very beautiful and inspiring, Gail! I really like the natural simplicity and your colour scheme.

    Your comment about God leaving hints of his nature in Creation was intriguing. I've often thought of how God reveals himself to us in nature but I hadn't thought about how the different types of natures reveal different aspects of his nature. It's something to ponder!

    God bless, Gail:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicky. I also need to continually ponder God's hints in creation. It's so easy for me to take them for granted.

      Delete
  2. This was a beautiful post that drew me away to a dreamy land of pondering. You inspire me that is for sure!! Now maybe if I get a minute (for other than laundry) I will change up my shelves to reflect spring. Maybe I will put the sand and shells into a bottle (or canning jar?) that we found on the beach last summer. I remember a while back changing one of my shelves to displaying a stack of three old old books, some tiny old books, some coceshi (who knows how to spell that?!) from Japan, and some other little things. I got the idea from you and used some of the things I had on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a beautiful post, with inspiring photos! Thank you for sharing at the WEDNESDAYS ADORNED FROM ABOVE Blog Hop ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this!! There’s a new Linking Party going on over at One Sharendipty Place and we’d love if you’d come on over and join us!! Here’s the Link: http://thet2women.com/welcome-to-one-sharendipity-place-link-up-4/

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow you have quite a collection of interesting things in your seaside display to make for interesting talking points

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything on here! I'm so glad we found your blog!! Thanks for linking up with us at One Sharendipity Place this weekend!
    Sue @thet2women.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I host a weekly link party called "Seasonal Sundays". This week, in honor of my fourth blog-a-versary, I'm having a giveaway of a $100.00 gift certificate to HomeGoods/TJ Maxx. I'd love to have you join the fun!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...