Thursday

Menu Wall


I've been saving menus all of my married life (that's over 40 years), and I even have some my parents saved from my childhood. But I've never had a place to display them until now.  I now display them above my kitchen booth. If you haven't read about my booth, click HERE.

 I used light-weight poster frames for the most part so they'd be easy to hang.


Top: 1950's menu from Knots Berry Farm, California; Bottom: German menu from 1970's

They are not non-glare as you can tell from these photos, but the photos came out with much more glare than they give on the wall. For the most part, they are easy to see/read.

Top:Silver Grill, Ft. Collins, CO, our hometown favorite breakfast place (cinnamon roll toast);  Bottom: Michelle's, CO Springs, an ice cream parlor where my husband and I went on our honeymoon in 1970.
People always ask if I stole the menus. I didn't. Some were purchased, but most were given to us when we asked.


Notice the 1970 prices on Michelle's menu.

 
Top: The Bullion Room, officer's club, Ft. Knox, KY; Bottom: Tippens, Kansas City, 1980's
I used a pin-striped cloth to back each menu, giving a little color and continuity to the collection.

one of our favorite things to get at Tippens in Kansas City (when we lived at Ft. Leavenworth, KS) was their giant chunk of corn bread with honey butter.

Top: The Sobriety Sandwich Shop, Denver CO, 1960's; Bottom: Territorial Coffee House, military hotel in Hawaii
 Menus are a fun, inexpensive souvenir from any trip or location, and they pack easily in a suitcase.
 
Top L: Zur Krim, Trier, Germany, 1980's; Top R: The Willows, Honolulu, 1980's; Bottom: This is a menu given to me years ago, the only menu without a personal history for us. But I love it because it has an outline of the U.S. on it and the dishes are all named after certain states and local specialties.
Top L: Hungry Traveler, Estes Park, CO where I worked the summer after high school; Top R: Collacis, Louisville, CO one of my husband's favorite places during our dating years. Bottom Collection includes a Steak House menu from the 50's, Shakey's Pizza from the 60's, Thunderbird Cafe, Ft. Collins, CO, where I worked one summer; Am Fischtor, a favorite restaurant from the city where we lived for 3 years--Mainz, Germany; Three Thieves, CO Springs where we went on our honeymoon, 1970; and a menu from the Erie Lackawanna Railroad dining car, 1950's.
 

I think they are the perfect accent for our kitchen booth.
 
I hope you enjoyed my collection and I hope it gave you some ideas of your own. I'd love to hear your comments and ideas. 

And please check out my home page of 1-Minute devotions. I send these devotions to subscribers so they can have an "espresso shot of Scripture in your morning latte." Click the mug to sign up for a free subscription. 









11 comments:

  1. Such a neat idea. The menus are perfect in your booth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brandi. Bless you for your encouragement. Gail

      Delete
  2. This is FANTASTIC!!!!! I have some in scrapbooks and others just sitting around. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jen. I hope it will inspire you to display some of your favorite menus. Bless you, Gail

      Delete
  3. This is such a fun 'retro' idea!! I love it. Coming over today (although I've been here many time before) from A Litte R&R link-up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a unique idea!! This gives the feel of a retro diner. My husband and I were in one that was decorated with anything COKE :-) It was really neat!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They go very well with the booth. So creative! Thanks for visiting and linking up at Romance on a dime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!!!!! Thanks so much for linking up! I enjoy reading your posts so much. I meant to say in my last comment how much I like your new feature - your recordings. You have a great voice for that!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...