Thursday

Hawaiian Fabric

After a wonderful vacation in Hawaii (we got the airline tickets free from our accumulated air miles!), I had to create a theme table to celebrate.  

In Hawaii, I saw lovely dresses and tote bags made of Hawaiian fabric. So I googled and found a fabric store within walking distance from our Waikiki hotel.

I ended up buying a good variety of 1-yard pieces in addition to the larger piece for my table covering. Not sure what I'll do with all of them, but I have some ideas. Update: See the purse I made with the fabric above HERE.

This store: Fabric Mart was amazing. So many fabrics and most $3.99 a yard.

I'm not a big sewer, but I bought fabrics with decorating in mind, and I'm determined to sew a tote bag in a style I saw in the International Market Place in Honolulu...but that will be another creative post.




It was hard to make up my mind.


I think you can order online from this store too. But if you are vacationing in Honolulu, be sure to visit it if you are a crafter/sewer.


Now back to my Hawaiian table: This lovely wooden vase is hand-carved mango wood. The thing that makes this vase even more special is who gave it to me. Beth, one of my Bible Love Notes readers, was always so encouraging. I'd never met her in person, but when I found out we were coming to Hawaii, I wrote and asked if we could meet for coffee. 



But I soon found out how hospitable and generous she was. She and her gracious husband, Lindsey (Hawaiian name: Kaaiakamanu) invited us to a party where she served some unique, delicious homemade Filipino foods (a dessert with papaya and potatoes in it). The mango vase was one of many gifts they gave us. Thanks, Beth and Lindsey! You are both a blessing! 

In this photo Beth is the beautiful lady in red. We also enjoyed meeting her generous and encouraging friends (Thanks, Mercy and Jeff). If you are ever in Honolulu, I recommend New Life Christian Church (1888 Owawa Street) which meets at 4:30pm on Sundays. Pastor Magno and his wife made us feel so welcome.

Oh, yes, back to the table: I layered fabrics on my table, the same design in two contrasting colors. And I added shell necklaces and leis made of kukui nuts.

I'm partial to blue fabrics, as you can tell.


A closer look: two types of kukui nut leis: painted black with flowers and natural with tiny shells in between (these last ones are given to welcome all guests at New Life Church). Leis are traditionally made of fresh flowers, but kukui nut leis are also popular.


This fabric has a tattoo motif. The turtle is often used in tattoo patterns in Polynesian cultures.

These are bits of coral that I picked up on the beach. They've been smoothed by the ocean, some having completely lost their tiny pockets. I like how they look and feel when the ocean smooths their rough edges.


One more blue.

This little fish bowl is made from the Hawaiian hardwood: Kamani.


And this final fabric in red.
Look for another post or two as I use these fabrics.
And while you're here on my blog, please check out my home page where I feature 1-minute devotions each weekday. Sign up for a free subscription and have them delivered to your email.
Thanks! Gail



11 comments:

  1. These colors are just so pretty and vibrant! I love what you did with all the coral in the heart shaped holder, so cute!

    I have only been to Hawaii once (long ago) but I loved it! Thanks for linking up to Making Your Home Sing Monday today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a creative way to keep the memories alive! I'm also a fan of blue. Thank you for sharing the experience, and your new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for coming to our gathering & sharing your time with us, Gail. You & your husband have been an encouragement for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those fabrics are stunning! I'd have a hard time choosing too. I'm so glad you had a chance to get away and enjoy that beautiful country! Have fun with your new treasure trove!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makes me homesick for the ocean! Thank you for sharing with us, the colors are wonderful and what a great deal on the fabric.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Hawaiian Fabric. I like the blue best as well. I am going to see if I can place an order to get my own fabric.

    Jenny @ http://jennylynndesignz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a wonderful trip, and then to meet a blog friend! i've never gone to honolulu, but our vacation to maui and kauai was one of my favorites. love the way you displayed the coral!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this, so glad that fabric caught my eye over at the Shabby Creek Cottage. Mahalo for sharing some Aloha with us! Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this. Aloha. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. What lovely colors! I enjoyed your blog immensely. It was like being with you personally and hearing you talk about the people, the fabrics and the shells. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...