Thursday

Happy Birthday America!

I've lived 8 years in Europe and I love it there, but I'll always love America best...I think most people feel that way about the country where they were born. And Scripture says that God placed us in our place and time in history, so we might as well enjoy it! (See Acts 17:24-28)

I also love Americana decor, so decorating for July 4th is fun for me.


I decided to make the mantel simple with only five items.



This Union Leader Tobacco box was my mother's. I love the look and the color, especially for the 4th. From my research, it's from the 1940's and is called a "lunch box" although the handle is missing on mine. Union Leader tobacco was a Kentucky company, popular in the early to mid 1900's.





My husband bought me this print when we lived in Kentucky. It was painted by a local artist, living near Louisville. I love the representation of the flag and the open Bible with a cross shadow from the window pane.


Near the mantel is this rocker. If you want to know how to make the vintage flag pillow check HERE. It's tea-stained.

I love my jean pocket coasters...see my post about them HERE.



I can't even remember where I got this little bike, but all of the parts move.





And an American Flyer wagon seems appropriate for the holiday. I remember how much my children enjoyed their American Flyer when they were little. It's sitting on top of my denim blue suitcase which I retrieved from a trash pile in Budapest. It's not American but it seemed to fit the theme. And under the suitcase is my doctor's trunk from a Pennsylvania doctor. See my post about my Trunk Collection for more photos of it with the Doctor's name on the side.





On the other side of the hearth, I put this rug-weave basket that I found at Goodwill for $1.99! I love the color. I just bought it a few days ago, so I didn't fill it with anything interesting yet. Any suggestions? old books, fabric, wooden boxes???


Then I also made a little centerpiece for my dining table.







Both of the fabrics I used for the table are truly American. This one is the pledge of Allegiance.



And this one says "America the Beautiful."



I included some other vintage items--a small Westinghouse light bulb tin and an antique baby shoe last once used to make shoes.







And I chose this little leather covered book for color and content. It's speeches of Abraham Lincoln.










♥ 



This Bible was carried by my father in WWII. It's purpose was to shield the soldier from a bullet. I wrote a devotion about it HERE.
I put a necklace pendant on the Bible to add some red and to emphasize the One who is the center to all of our family celebrations.


This is an Edison Gold Moulded Cylinder, an early method of music recording (read about its history HERE). I first used it on my Valentine Mantel



How it looks inside.


♥ 

  
 The last thing I did was change the slipcovers on my IKEA couches from brown to blue striped. I alternate covers on my couches. To read about it: $64 Living Room Make-Over.




Thanks for stopping by. While you're here, I'd love to have you check out my 1-minute devotions and sign up for a free subscription. 

 

5 comments:

  1. Great Americana decor! I'm inspired...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great collection of ideas!! Wow! Thank you so much for linking up with us this weekend at One Sharendipity Place!!
    Sue @TheT2women.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! So pretty! Visiting from the Gotta Create blog hop! Feel free to also link this one up at our Red, White & BBQ Ladies Only Blog Share link party which is now live! :)

    http://mommifried.com/ladies-only-blog-share-link-party-red-white-bbq/

    ReplyDelete
  4. My aunt decorates for the 4th and we always went to their house for a picnic on the 4th for years and years, then we were IN the parade, watched the concert on the beach of Christian & patriotic songs (the town had their Christian organization do it for thousands of people each year) and then the fireworks over the lakes on the warm summer evening while lots of boats bobbed on the water to watch the display. Your decorations reminded me of wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your collection of antiques and patriotic decor is amazing - LOVE the wall quote and how you beautifully put everything together. I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...