"He's My Honey" Granola

Bible Love Notes
This is not an ordinary granola recipe for me. It's one that takes a little extra expense and care, but I made it for my honey. 
 
We recently became aware that many of the "health foods" we've been eating have GMOs like canola or soy oils in them, and one of those health foods was my husband's favorite bulk granola from Whole Foods. I'm just learning about GMOs and how they enter our bodies as foreign substances and wreak havoc with our healthy cells. The reason: God didn't create them; they were created in a lab. If all this is new to you like it is to me, I have a few links at the bottom of this post that help explain.
 
So, knowing GMOs weren't good for my husband, I determined to make a healthy alternative for him incorporating the healthy ingredients from the bulk bin granola plus adding a few other things he likes.

I used brown crisped rice cereal (the Whole Foods 365 brand), regular oats, regular unsweetened coconut (with no additives), and regular vanilla extract. All other ingredients were organic.

organic spices, organic honey, organic barley malt in granola

I was excited to find organic cardamom. My husband's family is Swedish, and many years ago, his grandmother passed along a sweet bread recipe made with cardamom seed. And my hubby loves fresh ground nutmeg...it really is a step above buying it already ground. To give you an idea of how much he loves it, I carry some in my purse! 

Yes, when we go out to eat, he gets iced tea, adds some half and half, a sprinkle of cinnamon, some pure stevia (I also carry it with me), and I grate a little fresh nutmeg on top. I told you, he's my honey...has been for 45 years. : )


When we were dating : )


The Whole Foods granola I was trying to duplicate/improve contained "malt extract" and my husband has always loved malt flavor.

I met my husband when we worked together at a restaurant where he made malts and milk shakes and I waitressed. That was 45 years ago when we were 16 and 17 years old.

Back to the recipe: I researched and found that malt flavor (like that in Ovaltine) comes from barley. The process of naturally producing the thick, dark sorghum-type Barley malt syrup is lengthy, but it has definite health benefits. If you want to read about it, here's the link: Barley Malt.


On the left, I have all the ingredients combined....and it's truly "handmade" because I used my hands to mix oils, sweeteners, spices, and dry ingredients together. The spices--vanilla, cardamom and nutmeg--were wonderfully fragrant while mixing.

Making it CRUNCHY: I used to make granola by a process that required continual stirring during a 30 minute bake and often resulted in burning around the edges of the pan. This time I followed a suggested method I found on the internet: I spread it thinner in two pans instead of one. Then I baked it at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, turned off the oven, stirred it, and left it in the oven 3 hours. It turned out so crispy and nice! I had to break it apart to put it in the jars for storage.






Mason Jars full of fresh homemade granola

This recipe made almost 3 quart jars of cereal. My husband said it tasted different than the type we'd been buying but just as good. And he liked that it was much crunchier.
* Brief Explanation of Canola & Soy GMO
Wiki: "Canola was bred naturally from rapeseed at the University of Manitoba, Canada...in the early 1970s...A variety developed in 1998 is considered to be the most disease- and drought-resistant Canola variety of rapeseed to date. This and other recent varieties have been produced by using genetic engineering. In 2011 26% of the acres sown were genetically modified (biotech) canola."
Dangers of GMO foods and top 10 to avoid
Dangers of Soy products

While you're here, I hope you'll check out my home page that features a 1-minute devotion sent to subscribers each weekday. I'd love to have you sign up for these "espresso shots of Scripture in your morning latte."

8 comments:

  1. Gail,
    This looks like a great granola recipe. I'll have to give it a try.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm visiting from Welcome Home Wednesday and I just have to say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE your photos! :-)

    ~Stacy @ Stacy Makes Cents

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stacy. I've tried to learn from other bloggers, and I really think good pictures help.

      Delete
  3. Mmm... this looks really, really good!! Thanks for sharen with us at One Sharendipity Place this weekend!

    Sue @ thet2women.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds amazing - the combination of the ingredients and spices - awesome! I appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! I love homemade granola, I have never made it, but my mom used to make it all the time when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Love homemade granola:) Thanks for sharing this on The HomeAcre Hop! Hope to see you again today!
    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/06/the-homeacre-hop-24.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.bostonreview.net/forum/pamela-ronald-gmo-food
    Please check this out before you distrust all GMOs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...