Wednesday

Better Blogging Through Self-Education

improve your blogging skills
We can’t expect to improve as writers and bloggers if we aren't constantly learning. 

If writing is one of our gifts, then we owe it to God and to our readers (present and future) to invest time improving our writing and blogging skills.

This is a good application of the parable of the talents. God expects us to diligently use whatever gifts He gives us.

I try each week to learn more about writing and blogging, and there are a plethora of sites that I like.

I recommend these for blogging:
Pro Blogger
This blog is written by a former pastor who now has over 300,000 subscribers. His site is filled with practical, down-to-earth videos and posts about blogging. You can subscribe or take time each week to read something in his archives.

Michael Hyatt
Hyatt, former chairman of Thomas Nelson, has over 700,000 subscribers on his blog that covers leadership, productivity, writing and publishing.

Improving Your Writing Skills:
Michael Hyatt recommends these articles for those who wish to guest post on his site. I read them all and I recommend you do the same:

“Anatomy of an Effective Blog Post” by Michael Hyatt
“9 Ways Become an Exceptional Guest Poster” by Darren Rowse
“Seven Steps to Writing a Successful Guest” by Jeff Goin.
“7 Crucial Tactics for Writing a Radically Successful Guest Post” by Blog Tyrant

I also recommend:
Writing Tips From C.S. Lewis
This 5 item list is "short and sweet" and it hits the most common errors I found when I edited submissions for a devotional blog.

So let's educate ourselves and invest in our talents, not bury them.

This is one of my blogging posts, but the main purpose of my blog is one-minute devotions. Please check out my home page and sign up for a free subscription while you're here. Thanks!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these links, they are all bookmarked now and I will read them soon. Blessings to you today, my sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for these tips! I'll be reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Great resources! Thanks for sharing this great perspective on investing time into my blog...I always want to, but learning about it is probably my least favorite part of the whole deal - but this puts it into the realm of wise stewardship of my gifts and readers and THAT makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Gail, for sharing some of your insight regarding blogging! I've made several notes.
    Luv your reminder that we need to be more diligent in using the gifts God gave us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tips - thanks! I'm familiar with ProBlogger and Blogging Bistro but I'll have to drop by those other sites too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing these sites (as well as the sites for the pictures). I've bookmarked both! I always appreciate growing and blog tips! Thanks so much, Gail!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the shoutout, Gail! I'm checking out the other sites you've shared.

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...