Dear Writers: Don't Seek High Self-Esteem

Self-esteem advocates tells us that the more self-esteem we have the better adjusted we'll be. I don't agree. 

When I was editing submissions for a devotional blog, I found that self-esteem didn't equate to being well adjusted. Nor did it make a person a better writer.

It actually works against us as writers, in my opinion.

Writers with great self-esteems often refuse to accept edits to their work, or they accept them but refuse to learn from them and refuse to improve their skills. They think they are something they aren't.


"If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves." Galatians 6:3


I'm not saying that edits aren't hard for all of us to take, and the kindest rejection still stings a bit. 

But I've learned to treasure the input of editors, writing peers, and gifted writers. That's part of having sober judgment of myself.

"Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you." Romans 12:3
I love the humility of James Michener, who wrote over 40 books, sold over 75 million copies, won a Pulitzer Prize for his novel "Tales of the South Pacific" and had a dozen of his books made into movies.

Michener said: “I’m not a very good writer, but I’m an excellent rewriter.” 

Michener's humble view of himself helped make him a better writer, and God tells us that a humble view of ourselves makes us better people all-around.


“God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble."
1 Peter 5:5

For more thoughts and facts about the dangers of high self-esteem, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...