Keeping In Step with Christ

This 1-minute devotion explains why Christ told us to take His YOKE and 4 ways we can make sure we're doing it. #BibleLoveNotes #Bible

We always get out of step when we try to bear our own burdens, solve our own problems, and operate in our own power.

We need a yoke* that connects us with Christ so we can move in step with Him:

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30).

Yoked to Christ, we walk where He walks:

1. Dwelling on His Word (Colossians 3:16).

2. Rejecting popular worldly philosophies (Colossians 2:8).

3. Following His purposes (Ephesians 2:10).

4. Walking in His power and strength (Philippians 4:13).

Jesus says, "Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be" (John 12:26).

Best of all, when we move in step with Christ, we find rest for our souls.
 -----------------
*Yoke: "zygós – properly, a yoke; a wooden bar placed over the neck of a pair of animals so they can pull together; (figuratively) what unites (joins) two people to move (work) together as one."

For a deeper understanding of taking Christ's yoke:
Which Yoke?
Yoked But Unburdened
Learn From Him
Jesus Invites Us to Come, Take, Learn
Come

Free Subscription to 1-Minute Bible Love Notes
Why not add some more of God's Word to your schedule by having a 1-minute devotion delivered to your email each weekday. Sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet. Find out more HERE.

This 1-minute devotion explains why Christ told us to take His YOKE and 4 ways we can make sure we're doing it. #BibleLoveNotes #Bible

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for all that you do to encourage your readers. I have been struggling with a particular bitterness for a couple of years. I believed that I had successfully put if off, but just last night I was surprised and horrified to realize that a root of it still lived in my heart. This morning I read your post on Matthew 11:28-30 and I didn't see how it applied to my specific sin. In addition to that, I have always had a difficult time interpreting this passage. Therefore, I looked up some definitions and pictures of yokes and I read Matthew Henry's Commentary on this passage. I had a breakthrough! His commentary reads:[1.] The yoke of Christ’s commands is an easy yoke; it is chrestos, not only easy, but gracious, so the word signifies; it is sweet and pleasant; there is nothing in it to gall the yielding neck, nothing to hurt us, but, on the contrary, must to refresh us. It is a yoke that is lined with love. Such is the nature of all Christ’s commands, so reasonable in themselves, so profitable to us, and all summed up in one word, and that a sweet word, love. So powerful are the assistances he gives us, so suitable the encouragements, and so strong the consolations, that are to be found in the way of duty, that we may truly say, it is a yoke of pleasantness. It is easy to the new nature, very easy to him that understandeth, Prov. 14:6. It may be a little hard at first, but it is easy afterwards; the love of God and the hope of heaven will make it easy.
    Praise God! I believe that your blog led me to the answer that I have been searching for. I am picturing myself exchanging my old yoke of bitterness, envy, pride and malice for Jesus' yoke of love, ease and pleasantness. I am so encouraged to know that even though it might be uncomfortable at first, God's love and my future hope of heaven will make it easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a blessing to read this!
      I am so glad that God prompted you to study it further.
      I especially like this part of the quote: "It is a yoke that is lined with love." It makes me think of a soft underlining that keeps it from rubbing and blistering our hearts.

      May God continue to give you peace and freedom from bitterness.

      Delete