Monday

Easter Decor: Prayer Books, European Eggs, Angels


Nothing in the Christian calendar is worth celebrating more than
Christ's Resurrection...I love Easter!


I thought it was a perfect time to decorate my mantle with vintage prayer books and European eggs.



If you've viewed my mantle decor in my other posts, you'll remember that I didn't have curtains on my living room windows. I finally made these simple curtains from several yards of textured sheer fabric. What do you think?

On the left side of the mantle I put a box that belonged to my grandfather. He kept bills and receipts in it.  I chose the angel because I thought she expressed Easter joy and new life.



This hand-painted wooden egg is over 30 years old...I'll explain more about it when I describe the right side of the mantle. Note the book tilted on the far right...



I bought this book in a Catholic second-hand shop in Budapest.

The title pages





Note the date--1799--The U.S. was only 23 years old when this German prayer book was printed.


This small soft leather-covered book on the left (near the orange egg) is Foxes Book of Martyrs. I'm not sure of the date, but it's part of Cassel's Penny Library.



This tiny Psalter was printed in 1843 and it's the tiniest of my collection. My daughter bought it for me from a library sale.








I found this "Church Services" Anglican prayer book is a small bookstore in Norwich, Great Britain. It's the nicest quality of any of my prayer books.




This is the aspect of my mantle that is most meaningful to me. The little frame says: "Our Lord was sold for thirty pieces of silver--the price of a slave. He purchased us with His precious blood." The three rough nails are the approximate size used for crucifixions. The little leather bag is one I used as a child for my marbles, but I filled it with 30 silver-colored coins. The book I used for the display has special meaning because Christ's death was "For Sinners Only" which means all of us. And finally the little red heart...red for His blood, heart for His love.




Another grouping of books and a bright red Polish egg



The Bible on the left was my father's in World War II. Issued by the American Bible Society, it has a metal cover with the hope it might protect the soldier who put in his pocket over his heart.


The prayer book on the right is Hungarian. It was inscribed in 1893.






My sister's husband searched online for this precious little Methodist hymnal dated 1844. I love it!


This German prayer book with the sweet closure is in great condition for an 1870 date.


I love this beautiful leather covered copy of The Imitation of Christ in French and from the 1800's.



 I bought this Hungarian prayer book in a Budapest antique shop.

It's a Jewish prayer book for women.









Now for the eggs. These are wooden, hand-painted, mostly Polish with a few Russian. I bought these eggs in 1980 from our neighbor's Polish nanny. My husband was stationed in Mainz, Germany, and our neighbor hired a Polish nanny to watch her children. Remember that during that period, Poland was under Russian Communist rule, but this young woman had secured a work visa as my neighbor's nanny. Occasionally her mother sent her boxes of Polish and Russian handicrafts to sell, and I was blessed to buy some of the items.


I also used this red hymnal for a purpose--It's what Christ calls us to do at Easter time...Make Him King of our lives!

The black book is a German prayer book, 1896. I got it at a flea market in Berlin.



At the bottom on the mantle, I put two of my favorite suitcases that you've seen in other mantle displays and I added this peach colored scarf that has a soft, nubby texture. Inside the suitcase are more prayer books and hymnals.





On my table, I put a Hungarian prayer book that has a little case with a handle. The white cross is made of Croatian limestone, and I bought it in Dubrovnik--the most beautiful city in the world--where the streets and buildings are limestone.


These are real eggs, hand-painted. I bought them in a flower market in Budapest and broke a few getting them back to the States. They're inside an old Hungarian flour sifter.



This is the inside of the little prayer book that has its own "purse."


I wanted to show you a couple of other areas of my living room this month. This framed print has been a part of my living room decor since my husband bought it for me for Valentine's Day about 15 years ago. 


I love the message of the painting because I am like the man in the picture. He holds a nail and mallet representing his responsibility for Christ's death.  Yet Christ comforts and forgives him. I am like that man because I'm a sinner who repented of her sin and now rests in the arms of Christ. That's the most incredible thing about my life and the reason I write Bible Love Notes.


The other area of my living room I'd like to share is above my antique library table where I've hung two copies of pages from the 1455 Gutenberg Bible. We lived in Mainz, Germany when my husband was in the Army, the same city where Gutenberg invented his printing press.  The Bible was the first book Gutenberg printed, and the pages were hand-embellished afterward. These are copies they sell in the museum. I've written a one-minute devotion about it HERE.



Thanks for visiting my decor pages. I include them on my blog because I love doing creative things, and I know that's because I am made in the image of a creative God. 

The main focus of my blog is my creative Lord, so I'd love to have you check out my Home Page that contains one-minute devotions...yes, each devotion only takes 60 seconds to read. And you can sign up for a free subscription and have them delivered to your email box.
Thanks!  Gail

33 comments:

  1. Wow. Your book collection is amazing! I'd love to look thru them all--but too afraid to mess them up! ;)

    Just gorgeous! And such full of meaning--thanks for sharing!
    a

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amanda. It's taken me many years and many flea markets and thrift shops to buy all of these wonderful books on my budget. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so love this...I have been praying for an idea to use on the table for Easter, and your post is most inspiring as I love old books (have some, even passed down through the generations) and a Willow Tree angel...you have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, I'm glad to have gotten your creative ideas going...Make it your own, girl!

      Delete
  4. I love your mantel--clean and soothing--with meaningful items. I love the picture of Jesus holding the man. I have a copy of that same picture, but unfortunately, mine is in storage because I am a live-in caretaker for a lady with Alzheimer's. thanks for sharing a very meaningful part of your life. Have a happy and blessed Easter!!
    Cashel11916@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind comments. May God bless you as you care for others and give you a blessed Easter season.

      Delete
  5. I love the way you have decorated: simple, classic and full of meaning. I love the way you have the meaning and story behind all you use.
    By the way, I couldn't find your blog hop this week. Did you put the link up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shanda. I'm going to hold off on the blog hop for a while. Thanks for asking. I love your "On Your Heart" Tuesday hop.

      Delete
  6. Wow, what a precious and beautiful collection you have here. I could spend all day looking through it. Have a blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a blessed Easter to you as well. Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Gail, I enjoyed looking at your post about your Easter decor. I love the stories behind everything you used and the sentimental value of these items due to their history. Blessings and hope you have a Happy Easter, Deborah H. Bateman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. I wish you a blessed Easter as well.

      Delete
  8. Your vintage books are such a great treasure and the eggs are beautiful. Very elegant display and the curtains fit the room...very nice. I am a first time visitor, enjoyed my visit. ))smiles))

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it that you are so creative. I like those kinds of things but don't do the same in my house. It's a blessing to see how you use these articles to bring our attention to Jesus Christ. Have a blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments. We all enjoy different aspects of God's creative image...some people have no skill or interest in decorating their homes, but they do other creative things...It's a good thing that God made us each so unique.

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful collection of books, and each holds a special memory for you, that is the best!!! I have three old books that are kept in my bedroom, never thought to put them out like that....one is in Italian and was my mom's prayer book as a child....guess I'd better get busy!!!

    By the way, your curtains are lovely, simple and classic and complement your room and style.....and oh, the eggs are awesome!!! Wishing you a blessed Easter Season...hugs...cleo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. Yes! you must use your mother's Italian prayer book in a display in your home somewhere...what a treasure! And thank you for the kind comments about the mantle and my curtains! God bless, Gail

      Delete
  11. I really love the details you put into this set. At first it just looks like little old books, but the step-by-step search really shows the greater meaning. "Just for Sinners" was my favorite part of your display! Very clever indeed. Thanks for sharing and blessings to you this Easter!

    -Jennie

    P.S. I'm new to this site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and speaking encouraging words! God bless, Gail

      Delete
  12. I love all the meaning behind the whole display!! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting such a great blog hop, Alison.

      Delete
  13. Visiting from Shabby Creek Cottage. What a lovely and meaningful display! Thank you for sharing.

    Resurrection blessings,
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  14. He is RISEN! This is a very beautiful post, thank you for sharing this with us! God's blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is Risen Indeed! Thanks for stopping by. : )

      Delete
  15. You have a wonderful collection!! I just love looking through what you have on your mantle each time you link up!! :)

    Thanks so much for sharing at Romance on a Dime!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the calming serenity of your home. The curtains you added are a perfect accent! This post, focused on the true reason for Easter Sunday makes all of the "bunny stuff" out there seem silly and frivolous - yet Our Lord wants us to enjoy that beauty and family fun, too!
    Your posts are a refreshing break from this crazy, materialistic world! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stopping in from The Grand Social. What a lovely collection of prayer books, hymnals, and eggs! I really enjoyed the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing this. I have a few old books that I love but no old Bibles. I have well, newer Bibles from about 30 years ago. :) Best wishes, Linda

    Share this with my readers at What to do Weekends!

    http://www.craftsalamode.com/2013/03/what-to-do-weekends-11.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed your blog post and seeing all your books. I have a small German prayer book that I inheirited and had to ask someone who is german what it was and she told me a prayer book. It is old I can't remember the date but if you would be interested in buying it you can email me. I loved your mantle set up with the nails and silver that is really a great visual to make it easy to understand for the younger children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Maybe a few years back I would have considered buying your German prayer book, but I'm at a point where my collection is probably as big as it should be : )
      Thanks though. I'm sure someone would love to have it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
All Scripture references NIV unless otherwise noted.