Monday

Being Honest and Pressing On

Philippians 3:12-13, pressing on
I can be a people-pleaser, but I’m learning that I need to focus on pleasing God and not man. 

I can be insecure, but I’m learning to be less self-focused and more God-focused. 

I can be proud, but I’m learning to have confidence in Christ, not in myself. 

I can be fearful, but I’m learning that His perfect love casts out fear. 

I can be negative, but I’m learning that His wonderful salvation is enough to make any moment a joy. 

I can be selfish, but I’m learning how to give up my desires to serve God and others. 

“Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.” (Philippians 3:12-13). 

Our inclination is to emphasize the good in our character and do nothing about our sins. But the Bible calls us to honestly assess our sins and failures and press on to do better.

See also: 1 Peter 5:5-6 and James 1:22-25
copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2012 

If you'd like Bible Love Note's 1-Minute devotions delivered to your email please enter your email in the subscribe tool on the right sidebar and validate the Feedburner email sent to your inbox.

7 comments:

  1. Oh this is good stuff right here!! I am going to print this and put right where I can see it!!! Thanks for sharing! I am subscribing by email so I won't miss any of your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! Counting my 1000 gifts today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Piper, so glad it was helpful to you! And so glad to have you as a new subscriber!

    ReplyDelete
  4. His mercies are new every morning- and it's a really good thing, isn't it? This post made me smile. :) I always appreciate women who are honest with their struggles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was exactly what I needed to hear today. I am selfish, insecure and too proud. Who knew, I'm a sinner... But knowing these things I need to take the focus off of me and my sin and put it instead on Christ and walking with my eyes on Him and not myself. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
All Scripture references NIV unless otherwise noted.