Monday

A Box of Letters Forgotten in the Attic

like a box of letters forgotten in the attic: the Psalms
Imagine finding a box hidden in the attic, forgotten.

You open it to find personal letters to your great grandfather from his children--letters asking him difficult questions, commenting on his importance in history, asking his advice, begging for his help, and gratefully acknowledging his love and faithfulness.

If you wanted to learn more about this family patriarch, you'd study these letters.

For the same reason, we study the Psalms--letters, songs and poems written to One far greater than a righteous relative. Divinely inspired, they give us a look into our Heavenly Father’s heart through the eyes of his children who pleased Him, disappointed Him, suffered for Him, shared His glory, and asked Him difficult questions about life.

"I sought the Lord and He answered me..." Psalm 34:4

Reading some of the Psalms each day is a good practice. If you read the number corresponding to the day's date in increments of 30, you'll read the book of Psalms each month. For example, If the date were June 1, you'd read Psalm 1, 31, 61, 91, and 121
© copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2011

If you'd like Bible Love Notes one-minute devotions delivered to your email box each weekday, sign up for a free subscription below. But be sure to validate the Feedburner email sent to your inbox when you subscribe.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Gail. Your story of finding the letters in the attic reminds me of when my parents found my grandfather's love letters to my grandmother, of which she kept from 1919-1922. There were over 150 letters! How precious personal letters are to us....and the Psalms are personally written for us to read! I have read through the Psalms before, but I may read through them again soon. They are so lovely!!

    In His Lo♥e, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true Gail. I too have found and do find great comfort in the psalms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love letters! And I cherish the Psalms. I'd love to hear David sing them. I hope he has his harp in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this post, please link it with me tomorrow at Wow Us Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do appreciate the Psalms so much! There's always a psalm for whatever situation you're in! Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome parallel! We have such a wealth of treasure right before us! Thanks so much for linking this up with me last week at Walking Redeemed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful metaphor! I love the psalms so much--my go-to in times of great need!

    Thanks so much for joining Grace at Home. I featured you this week!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
All Scripture references NIV unless otherwise noted.